Symbol Settings is the default tab in APIBridge. It allows you to add rows of Symbols in which your strategy will trade.
- Symbol Settings -> Input Symbol: This should be same as the symbol in your chart or other application such as Amibroker/MT4/Python/TradingView. This field is mandatory.
2. Symbol Settings ->Exchange Symbol: Actual symbol for placing orders via API. Eg. NIFTY for Nifty index futures.
Exchange Symbol field is optional. If your Input Symbol is same as Exchange Symbol, you can keep it blank. Exchange symbol means the actual symbol used for trading. Example – BANKNIFTY for Banknifty futures.
3. Symbol Settings ->Instrument Name: Should be selected from drop-down. The Exchange value is taken automatically based on InstrumentName. InstrumentName field is mandatory. You can leave it blank if you want to dynamically provide in Signal.
4. Symbol Settings ->Expiry, Strike, Type: Applicable and mandatory for derivatives only; leave blank for trading in Cash segment.
5. Symbol Settings ->Entry Order Type: Applicable for LE/SE signals. Chose from available options in drop down.
This field is optional. If you want to dynamically sent Entry Order Type in Signal, you can leave it blank.
6. Symbol Settings ->Exit Order Type: Applicable for LX/SX signals. Chose from available options in drop down.
This field is optional. If you want to dynamically sent Exit Order Type in Signal, you can leave it blank.
7. Symbol Settings ->Quantity: Fixed Qty: A fixed integer qty will be used for all LE/SE/LX/SX signals. Refer here for Qty by SL and Qty by Exposure.
The Fixed Qty field is optional. If you want to dynamically send Quantity in Signal, you can leave it blank.
Note: For NSE Derivatives, you need to provide absolute quantity, not number of lots. Eg. provide 75 for placing order in one lot of Nifty Futures. For MCX, you need to give quantity in number of lots. Eg. provide 1 for trading in one lot of Crudeoil-mini. For MCX and Currency, we also request you to first place a test trade, since it may differ from broker to broker.
8. Symbol Settings ->Product Type: Select from drag-drop.
Note that MIS is also referred as Intraday or Margin by some brokers. NRML is referred as Delivery or Day. Bracket Order (BO) may also be referred as OCO; Cover Order (CO) may also be referred as Protective Trade.
To find which product type is available, check your broker’s API documentation. You can also try placing order manually through your broker’s web trading terminal.
9. Symbol Settings ->MaxOpenPosition: Maximum allowed position for Long or Short trades. Eg., if you provide 100, it will reject new LE/SE signals if they can increase NetPos more than 100. It works for both Long and Short positions. This field is optional.
10. Symbol Settings ->MaxProfit/MaxLoss: It squaresoff current position based on the Unrealized MTM received via API. Note that MaxProfit does not stops trading; if fresh signals are received, they will be processed. Unrealized MTM is also called Live PnL; i.e. the profit or loss from your open position. The PnL from your closed positions is not considered here. This field is optional.
(1) Max Open Position depends on the order status returned by Broker API. If the Broker API does not return order status correctly, the net position will not maintain properly, and Max Open Position will also not work.
(2) Max Profit and Max Loss depends on the Unrealized MTM returned by Broker API. If the Broker API responds with lag or latency, the Max Profit and Max Loss may not work properly.
Bypassing Symbol Settings – Only for Advanced Users.
You can bypass all Symbol Settings, and the signal rules will still work. This is recommended only for advanced users who understand complete process flow of APIBridge; and, have nicely coded strategies which send perfect Signal parameters to APIBridge. This has many important use cases. For example, you may want to trade in large number of option strikes which are calculated dynamically in your strategy – so you do not have to worry about adding all option strikes under Symbol Settings. Or, you may want to trade based on scan of large number of stocks and its inconvenient to add all stocks in Symbol Settings.
To bypass symbol settings, Go to APIBridge folder -> Data ->Templates – Advanced Template -> open settings.xml
IMPORTANT: If you do not send correct data in Signal, such as Symbol, Instrument, OrderType etc, orders will not be placed.